Expert classification and sustainability services
Worth over $400 billion USD, the global seafood industry depends on a global fleet of fishing vessels. From trawlers, to crabbers, to tuna seiners, fishing vessels come in many sizes and designs, and sail worldwide. This variety and geographical spread makes the fishing segment particularly decentralized, presenting unique challenges in terms of classification, sustainability and social responsibility.
To help ship owners ensure the safety and reliability of their fishing vessels, Bureau Veritas’ global network provides key classification services. We offer dedicated classification rules and class notations for different operating conditions and equipment, including systems for automation and refrigeration. We also support vessel owners in using more sustainable fuels and alternative propulsion methods, and ensuring the safety and responsible treatment of crewmembers.
- Ensure that newbuilds are constructed in compliance with classification rules specific to fishing vessels
- Assess the safety and ongoing compliance of vessels throughout operations with regular surveys
- Ensure that the design, equipment, and construction of fishing vessels complies with statutory regulations
- Protect the rights and ensure the fair treatment of fishermen and crewmembers onboard fishing vessels
- Improve the sustainability of fishing vessels with alternative fuels and propulsion methods
Leveraging our knowledge of fixed and floating installations and offshore structures, BV Marine & Offshore supports the aquaculture industry in achieving high standards of safety and performance. using our NR 445 Rules we class and certify floating fish farm installations, and we are currently developing dedicated Rules for fish farming. The latter will cover floating structures, equipment, stability rules, machinery, power and safety aspects.
In China, we are currently supporting 19 fish farming projects, including the certification of two aquaculture units in China developed by the Guangzhou Institute of Energy Conversion. Our marine and offshore expertise is complimented by the services provided by the BV Industry division for the certification of seafood, as well as our membership of the Eurocord association.
Read our insight on offshore fish farming
Cover Photo Credit: Gestur - stock.adobe.com