The 75th session of the MEPC, was held remotely from 16 to 20 November 2020.
The main outcome is the approval of draft amendments to MARPOL Annex VI concerning mandatory goal-based technical and operational measures to reduce carbon intensity of international shipping, with a view to adoption at MEPC 76.
These amendments will have to be adopted at the next MEPC76 (June 2021) and will enter into force on January 1, 2023.
Another important decision is the adoption of amendments to the existing table 1 (Reduction factors (in percentage) for the EEDI phase 3.
MEPC 75 also adopted following resolutions :
- Res MEPC 324(75) - Amendments to MARPOL Annex VI, concerning procedures for sampling and verification of the sulphur content and the EEDI ;
- Res MEPC 325(75) amendments to regulation E-1 and appendix I of the international convention for the control and management of ships' ballast water and sediments, 2004 ;
- MEPC.326(75) – 2020 guidelines for monitoring the worldwide average sulphur content of fuel oils supplied for use on board ships . ;
- MEPC 327(75) on Encouragement of Member States to develop and submit voluntary National Action Plans to address GHG emissions from ships.
MEPC 75 approved following circulars:
- BWM.2/Circ.70/Rev.1 on Guidance for the commissioning testing of ballast water management system ;
- BWM.2/Circ.42/Rev.2 Guidance on ballast water sampling and analysis for trial use in accordance with the BWM Convention and Guidelines (G2) ;
- the Fourth IMO GHG Study 2020;
- MSC-MEPC.5/Circ.7/Rev.1 Guidance on the timing of replacement of existing certificates by revised certificates as a consequence of the entry into force of amendments to chapters 17 and 18 of the IBC Code ;
- PPR.1/Circ 9 circular on Revised carriage requirements for methyl acrylate and methyl methacrylate;
- PPR.1/Circ.10 on Resubmission of products listed in lists 2 and 3 of the MEPC.2 circular on Provisional categorization of liquid substances in accordance with MARPOL Annex II and the IBC Code ;
- MEPC.1/Circ.889 on the 2020 Guidelines for onboard sampling of fuel oil intended to be used or carried for use on board a ship.