Class and Statutory News
LIBERIA - CONCENTRATED INSPECTION CAMPAIGN ON CREW FAMILIARIZATION FOR ENCLOSED SPACE ENTRY
Aug. 13 2015
Between 1 September and 30 November 2015
The Maritime Authority of the Republic of Liberia has issued the following attached Marine Advisory which concerns the Concentrated Inspection Campaign (CIC) on crew familiarization for enclosed space entry.
Indeed, the Paris and Tokyo MOUs will conduct this joint CIC between 1 September and 30 November 2015.
All companies are reminded that they shall :
1. Establish a safety strategy to prevent accidents upon entry into enclosed spaces.
2. Conduct a risk assessment concerning the entry of all enclosed spaces on board the ship.
3. Establish enclosed space entry procedures which are to be included among the key shipboard operations concerning the safety of personnel and the ship in accordance with paragraph 7 of the International Safety and Management Code which :
- Will not allow any person to open or enter an enclosed space unless authorized by the Master or nominated person, and only when appropriate safety procedures laid down for the particular ship are followed, and
- Makes available the appropriate safety equipment for personnel.
4. Provide training in the use of atmospheric testing equipment (gas meters) in such spaces and a schedule of regular onboard drills for crews.
Port State Control Officers (PSCOs) will use a list of 10 selected questions to establish that crew members with enclosed space duties are familiar with relevant equipment and have received training to carry out their duties and identify and understand the hazards associated with entry into enclosed spaces.
The PSC check list with additional guidance in blue is attached to this Marine Advisory.
Refer also to the VeriSTAR Info # 1747 dated 28/07/2015 ("PARIS, TOKYO AND INDIAN OCEAN MOUS - Launch of joint concentrated inspection campaign on crew familiarization for enclosed space entry").